Monday 2 January 2012

In which we admit to an obsession.

I have a crush. I'll be the first to admit it.
And like all states of love, it is not entirely rational. My friends don't understand it. My wife certainly doesn't understand it. Which is not surprising, as this particular crush isn't on her.
It's on this guy here:

For those of you who don't recognise him, that is the illustration of the "Thief" character archetype, from the 1985 D&D Basic "Red Box" introduction set. Yes: ever since my aunt Kerry gave me that red box, and I opened up the Dungeon Master's guide booklet and saw him there, I have carried a torch for that little guy in my heart.

And I do mean the archetype, of course. The idea of thieves as romantic or even heroic figures is of course not a new one, even if it remains a little unconventional. Western folklore and mythology is littered with them, from ancient Greece through to the Australian outback. And our modern society had not fallen out of love with them: barely a year goes by when Hollywood does not release a heist flick of some flavour or another. Even the modern gaming market has produced a few notable examples, with one revival of a classic franchise in the works right now.

Why do we love them? Is it their ingenuity, or their swagger? Their pluck, or their luck? Do we admire their skill, while deploring their morals, yet all the time wishing we could break out of our mundane lives and join them in their rebellious pursuits? Whatever it is, I don't think I am alone in my obsession with all things theifly. And it is here that I intend to explore what it is that I so love about them, and what makes the Thief in our imaginations such a powerful and wonderful character.

No comments:

Post a Comment